Model of the Collegiate Church of Toro, made of marble reconstituted with resin.
Measurements: 21 x 13 x 16 cm.
Collegiate Church of Toro, Zamora. The church, founded by Alfonso VII and established as a collegiate church by the Catholic Monarchs, began to be built around 1160 and was completed around 1240. The Gothic western portico must have been erected around this time, which was used a century later to build a new church attached to the collegiate church, that of Santo Tomé.
The architects were inspired by the Romanesque cathedrals of Zamora and Salamanca, although in Toro the church is stylistically less advanced. Its plan, with three naves, a marked transept and chevet with three apses, is very similar to that of Zamora.
The dome is also similar to those of those temples: the drum has, as in Salamanca, two bodies of lights and ends in a dome with radial ribs on which the gadroons are set; on the outside it also has four cylindrical turrets.