Model of the Lonja de Valencia, made of marble reconstituted with resin.
Measurements: 15 x 12 x 11 cm.
A year after the foundation stone was laid, in 1483, work began on the construction of the most important commercial building in Valencia and one of the most interesting of its kind in Spain, work which was completed in 1498.
The work was carried out by stonemasons from Cantabria and the Basque Country under the direction of two master builders appointed in 1481: Juan Ybarra from Guipuzcoa and Pere Compte from Girona, who settled in Valencia. The latter was also involved in other important Valencian buildings such as El Miguelete and the Palacio de la Generalidad.
Inspired by that of Palma de Mallorca, it is in the Hispano-Flemish Gothic style, with a contracting room, where commercial transactions were carried out, of great architectural beauty.
Its balanced façade, to which a tower and the ‘Consulado del Mar’ were added years later, is crowned by a crenellated cornice and is vertically articulated in three streets, the lateral ones with pointed arches with fine tracery. Above these are pairs of angels holding heraldic emblems of the kingdom of Aragon.