Model of the Plaza de Toros de las Ventas in Madrid, made of marble reconstituted with resin.
Measurements: 13 x 13 x 5 cm.
The idea of building the current Plaza de Toros de las Ventas came about at the beginning of the 20th century. At that time, the bullfights took place in the Plaza de la carretera de Aragón, built in 1874, and located where the Palacio de los Deportes stands today, with a capacity of 13,210 seats. It was then that the bullfighter Joselito el Gallo proposed to José Espeliú, an architect and great fan, the construction of the current bullring. On 28 June 1919, the project for a monumental bullring at the end of Calle de Alcalá was presented.
Work began on the seventh of May 1922; although the date of completion of the project is 1929, the Plaza was not inaugurated until the seventeenth of July 1931. On that day a charity bullfight was held to raise funds to alleviate the unemployment problem that existed in Madrid, a capital that by then had 800,000 inhabitants.
There are no reviews yet.