Model of the Cathedral of Palencia, made of marble reconstituted with resin.
Measurements: 14 x 8 x 21 cm.
The Cathedral of Palencia is a singular building in which the most varied artistic styles are combined, from the Visigothic to the Baroque, without forgetting some reforms carried out in later centuries.
Its construction began in 1321 on the same site occupied by the Romanesque cathedral and the buildings that preceded it. Almost two centuries later, in 1516, and after overcoming the major obstacle of financing the works on several occasions, what can be considered the last phase of the main building of the church was completed.
Of the five doors in the Cathedral, it is perhaps the door of Santa María, known as the ‘Bishop’s door’, which is the most artistically interesting. Although it was planned during the episcopate of Don Diego Hurtado de Mendoza, it began to be decorated in the time of Fray Alonso de Burgos, and was completed years later, under Don Juan Rodríguez de Fonseca. However, the sculptures of the apostles were placed in 1607.